Jingle Bells Jingle Bells
I heard a dirty rumor that it’s almost Christmas… I hope it’s not true…. All this time I’ve been sure it was the middle of August… Maybe it’s the ridiculous amount of mosquitoes, the fact that I’m sweating almost always, and it seems the only thing falling from the sky around here is sand...
So, it’s Christmas. In the States this would be my favorite time of year. It means good food, pretty decorations, cocktail parties, eggnog (with or without Wild Turkey... ehm ehm Mr. H), who knows... possibly some snow, and always good old fashioned quality time with the family. Unfortunately, or fortunately (depending upon your perspective), I’m not in the States and Christmas time in Senegal is a bit different.
Unfortunately, I’m unable to access the ingredients necessary to make many of the typical Christmas Day foods. Then again, I may just be ungrateful for all the wonderful food I CAN get here. Take yesterday for instance; I decided I’d prepare something American-ish for our Peace Corps. Christmas party. I went to the ‘toubob store’ to buy a couple of things and when I got home, my two year old sister ran into my room to see what I’d bought. Apparently, what I thought were some less than awe-inspiring purchases were a little too exciting and overwhelming for her, because as she stood in my room looking in the fridge, she peed all over my floor. I guess it’s all about perspective.
Then there are Christmas decorations, which are about non-existent here, due mostly to the fact that almost everyone here is Muslim and therefore do not celebrate Christmas. Makes sense, although it doesn’t make the usual plastic covered furniture and neon colored fake flowers very aesthetically pleasing for someone looking to get in the Holiday spirit. I don’t get that warm, once a year, fuzzy Christmas feeling. C’est la vie.
Thankfully, we can at least pull together a little Christmas party sans cocktails or eggnog (the unfortunate parts). I may even get a little dressed up for the hell of it and put my stilettos to use! I have a funny looking little Charlie Brown tree (thanks Mom!), my place is as decorated as it’s going to get, and I guess I’m coming to terms with the fact that it’s December, even though the only kind of storm I may experience is of the sand variety. Again, c’est la vie.
After all this babbling, my point is, it’s not Christmas without my family and friends. People get wrapped up in giving and receiving gifts, and in the past I suppose I did also, but being here and away from my loved ones, I realize the Holidays just aren’t the same without them. It’s just not Christmas without my family. So I’m not sad, I’m just not celebrating. I’m making some ziti, dressing up a bit, and bringing a goofy looking little tree with me to dinner with some friends, but it’s not really Christmas.
I miss you all!! Merry Christmas!! Happy Holidays!! Happy New Year!!
A couple of shout outs: Mom, Dad, and Nicky for the goofy tree and some other cool stuff; Uncle Harold for the sweet card, and lets be honest, you were always my favorite Lovett; and Campbell for calling me last night and making my day.. possibly my week!! Love you all!
PS- I HAVE A CELL PHONE SO YOU CAN CALL ME IF YOU LIKE (THE NUMBER IS IN MY CONTACT INFO ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THIS PAGE), HOWEVER, SOMETHING IS UP WITH MY PHONE AND SOMETIMES WHEN YOU CALL MY PHONE DOESNT RING, SO IF YOU ARE CALLING AND IM NOT ANSWERING JUST KEEP TRYING BECAUSE I ALWAYS HAVE MY PHONE AND EVENTUALLY IT WILL WORK AND ILL GET THE CALL BUT SOMETIMES IT TAKES A NUMBER OF TRIES! SO DONT GIVE UP! I LOVE HEARING FROM YOU!
So, it’s Christmas. In the States this would be my favorite time of year. It means good food, pretty decorations, cocktail parties, eggnog (with or without Wild Turkey... ehm ehm Mr. H), who knows... possibly some snow, and always good old fashioned quality time with the family. Unfortunately, or fortunately (depending upon your perspective), I’m not in the States and Christmas time in Senegal is a bit different.
Unfortunately, I’m unable to access the ingredients necessary to make many of the typical Christmas Day foods. Then again, I may just be ungrateful for all the wonderful food I CAN get here. Take yesterday for instance; I decided I’d prepare something American-ish for our Peace Corps. Christmas party. I went to the ‘toubob store’ to buy a couple of things and when I got home, my two year old sister ran into my room to see what I’d bought. Apparently, what I thought were some less than awe-inspiring purchases were a little too exciting and overwhelming for her, because as she stood in my room looking in the fridge, she peed all over my floor. I guess it’s all about perspective.
Then there are Christmas decorations, which are about non-existent here, due mostly to the fact that almost everyone here is Muslim and therefore do not celebrate Christmas. Makes sense, although it doesn’t make the usual plastic covered furniture and neon colored fake flowers very aesthetically pleasing for someone looking to get in the Holiday spirit. I don’t get that warm, once a year, fuzzy Christmas feeling. C’est la vie.
Thankfully, we can at least pull together a little Christmas party sans cocktails or eggnog (the unfortunate parts). I may even get a little dressed up for the hell of it and put my stilettos to use! I have a funny looking little Charlie Brown tree (thanks Mom!), my place is as decorated as it’s going to get, and I guess I’m coming to terms with the fact that it’s December, even though the only kind of storm I may experience is of the sand variety. Again, c’est la vie.
After all this babbling, my point is, it’s not Christmas without my family and friends. People get wrapped up in giving and receiving gifts, and in the past I suppose I did also, but being here and away from my loved ones, I realize the Holidays just aren’t the same without them. It’s just not Christmas without my family. So I’m not sad, I’m just not celebrating. I’m making some ziti, dressing up a bit, and bringing a goofy looking little tree with me to dinner with some friends, but it’s not really Christmas.
I miss you all!! Merry Christmas!! Happy Holidays!! Happy New Year!!
A couple of shout outs: Mom, Dad, and Nicky for the goofy tree and some other cool stuff; Uncle Harold for the sweet card, and lets be honest, you were always my favorite Lovett; and Campbell for calling me last night and making my day.. possibly my week!! Love you all!
PS- I HAVE A CELL PHONE SO YOU CAN CALL ME IF YOU LIKE (THE NUMBER IS IN MY CONTACT INFO ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THIS PAGE), HOWEVER, SOMETHING IS UP WITH MY PHONE AND SOMETIMES WHEN YOU CALL MY PHONE DOESNT RING, SO IF YOU ARE CALLING AND IM NOT ANSWERING JUST KEEP TRYING BECAUSE I ALWAYS HAVE MY PHONE AND EVENTUALLY IT WILL WORK AND ILL GET THE CALL BUT SOMETIMES IT TAKES A NUMBER OF TRIES! SO DONT GIVE UP! I LOVE HEARING FROM YOU!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home