delicious ambiguity...

Trials and tribulations of a young American woman in search of adventure in Senegal...

Name:
Location: Senegal

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Other Stuff

OTHER RANDOM INFO ABOUT MY LIFE HERE
First and foremost, I’m sorry that I haven’t been writing as frequently as I had hoped and that I haven’t posted pictures. I am at the training center all day and then need to go home and hang out with my family for a couple of hours before I fall asleep. So, I am usually exhausted and don’t get around to going to the cyber as much as I would like. Also, I figured out how to get my pics from my camera onto my computer and now I am just working on putting them on the web. Things are complicated by the fact that when I use the cyber I usually use their computers instead of my own which means a French keyboard and all the websites in French. Try cramming two hours worth of emailing/blogging into one hour on a French comp, it’s a bitch. But here are some of my other thoughts about life here/ my experiences thus far…..

Being Sick
Being sick here is very scary. In our medical sessions we learn about all these illnesses/rashes/ other nastiness we are exposed to on a daily basis and once you start to feel sick your imagination runs wild! At least mine did…. About a week ago I was quite sick, stiff neck (probably because I sleep with a travel pillow and no mattress), soar throat, the works. It was enough to make me cry for the first time since I’ve been here, because I was sure I was dying of some rare tropical disease. I guess being around 50 sick ppl 24/7 isn't very good odds for staying healthy!

Blister Beetles
I guess I am just pretty unlucky… I don’t know if you’ve heard of blister beetles? Well, they spray acid on you that burns your skin and you get big blisters if you don’t wash the area off thoroughly immediately afterwards. Naturally, I had an experience with a blister beetle but I washed up quickly enough that I got ZERO blisters

Jaayfonde
Fonde is a very starchy (shocker!) food that many ppl in Senegal eat to gain wait. Allegedly when women eat a lot of fonde it makes their butts big and while I haven’t had the opportunity to eat any fonde my entire cartier (neighborhood) seems to believe the contrary! Because my nickname around town is Aminta Jaayfonde (aka Aminta Big butt). Go figure.. I didn’t know I had a big butt til I came to Senegal. I guess we learn a little bit about ourselves each day…


I know this is a very random entry but the stuff just comes to me and I feel the need to share. Next time I'll have something better I hope.

SHOUTOUTS TO AUNT JOANIE, RACHEL AND POPPY!!! I GOT YOUR MAIL, YOU GUYS ARE WONDERFUL!!! XOXOXOX

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ash,
i don't know if it's of any use really but try using this site http://www.freetranslation.com/free/web.htm to translate french webpages into english. it may be useless if you can't access it, but give it a shot anyway. take care. i'll write to you soon!

meg

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashleigh,
Have you received a box from me yet?
I sent it on 10/10. Please let me know when you get it.
I've been watching a show called 'Moms in Africa' on the Travel Channel to get an idea of what it's like there. Lots of beautiful scenery, bugs and animals. The people are portrayed as deep, wise and hardworking. The American moms
are another story.
Anyway, I hope you're well sweetie.
Love, aunt Cleo

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home