delicious ambiguity...

Trials and tribulations of a young American woman in search of adventure in Senegal...

Name:
Location: Senegal

Sunday, October 01, 2006

DEMYSTIFICATION

So I had a little something prepared about my demyst experience and left it at home. SHOCKER. I blame the heat for the frequency with which I forget things these days... oh well.

Demystification= A four or five day period when the PC sends pairs of trainees to live and shadow currently serving volunteers. As Im sure you can gather, its a time for the trainees to see what life in the field is really like... to experience thepace of life and work, see living conditions in different areas of the country and for volunteers in different sectors.

Bright and early Sunday morning we each got our things together and crammed into our previously assigned land rovers for an all day (for some) trip out to our demyst sites. Emmy and I were assigned to stay with a volunteer named Mary Beth in Kaffrine (a relatively small town about 3 hours from the training center). Personally, I feel I lucked out because Emmy is the only trainee in our group that has previously been to Senegal and between our French and Wolof I was sure we would be able to get by ok. BOY WAS IT AN EYE-OPENING EXPERIENCE.

Many of my fellow trainees have previously travelled to developing countries and may not have shared my amazement at the overall living environment... but I for one could never have imagined it. It was more than I could ever imagine... I dont quite know the proper way to address many of the things I saw/experienced, so Ive decided to just note these three aspects of life in Kaffrine:

GARBAGE: It is absoultely everywhere. Mounds of garbage for people to walk through on their way to the market, to their house, to anywhere you could possibly want to go because garbage basically seems to line most places(And I am not including the large puddles of green sitting water filled with garbage and rotting food that apparently cause a schistosomiasis problem whenever the market floods).

FLIES: Flies are also almost everywhere... and I dont mean a couple... I mean thousands upon thousands covering most places and getting in your face(unless there is a ceiling fan or you have a hand fan. Sidenote: Whoever invented the fan...heres a shout-out because I love you!)

STARS: Laying outside on a stick bed in your familys compound without electricity would not be the same without the most beautiful stars on Earth shining over head each night. I genuinely never thought there could be such a beautiful night sky... This aspect of life is something I cant wait to do every night for the next two years.


Overall, I learned a ton onmy demyst trip. I had a great time, I made new friends, and I realized that I can totally do this. My first day was overwhelming and I had a moment of self-doubt, but after I saw those stars I knew it was all going to be ok.

IN OTHER NEWS
I moved in with my host family! They are great! I have four sisters and four brothers ranging in age from 10-30. This is definitely going to be an interesting two months... Weve already had a dance party in my room with my American music and my little bro is so cute!

Im sorry if there are typos but ive run out of time! ciao ciao!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that your african name is Aminta ba-- but what does it mean?

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are your brothers and sisters
name? How big is you room? What are your parents names?

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want you to know that I usually don"t check my e-mail, but since you left I check your blog every day for updates! sleeping under the stars, boy you won't need air conditioning when you get home.

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you! I'm so happy that you're having such a great experience already. Take lots of pictures! Can't wait for the next update. Love you!

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bonjour, Aminta ba, Comment vas-tu? Ma Francaise c'est pauvre, mais je le fais juste par plaisir. Nous aimerons connaitre comment vont les affaires. Comment cela nourriture? Etes-vous perdant du poids? LOL! Demystification - Interessant!! Maintenant je dois m'asseoir et la figure que je vous ecrite!!!!

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home