UPDATE
Fatou is still tied up outside my room. My neighbors said they have been feeding her although evidence may point to the contrary. There is an adorable little boy with Down’s syndrome living on my street. He generally roams the streets unsupervised along with most of the kids here. Usually, this isn’t an issue; of course unless there is a wild monkey tied up in one of the compounds and quite possibly a little hungry. Long story short, Fatou took a little nibble out of the boy’s ear yesterday. He needed to go to the hospital but I think he’ll be ok. Who would have thought allowing a five year old child with Down’s syndrome to roam the neighborhood unsupervised (especially when he is known to go into peoples’ houses and there happens to be a wild monkey in one of the yards) might be a bad idea? Shocker.
LESSONS LEARNED THIS WEEK: Letting small children (especially with special needs) roam the streets unsupervised is not always the safest idea; ““particularly when there is a wild monkey tied up in someone’s yard; keeping a wild monkey tied up in your yard unsupervised is also not the safest/best idea; hungry/agitated wild monkey + small unsupervised child = recipe for disaster/hospitalization.
In other news, my darling mother informed me that in recent entries my English has gone to crap. I hope you all accept my sincere apology and understand that being here and continuously speaking Wolof has made it quite difficult to speak and write properly. I find myself speaking English with a Wolof accent; and yes, I am sure some of you may think that is better than with a New Jersey accent but nevertheless…SORRY!
LESSONS LEARNED THIS WEEK: Letting small children (especially with special needs) roam the streets unsupervised is not always the safest idea; ““particularly when there is a wild monkey tied up in someone’s yard; keeping a wild monkey tied up in your yard unsupervised is also not the safest/best idea; hungry/agitated wild monkey + small unsupervised child = recipe for disaster/hospitalization.
In other news, my darling mother informed me that in recent entries my English has gone to crap. I hope you all accept my sincere apology and understand that being here and continuously speaking Wolof has made it quite difficult to speak and write properly. I find myself speaking English with a Wolof accent; and yes, I am sure some of you may think that is better than with a New Jersey accent but nevertheless…SORRY!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home