delicious ambiguity...

Trials and tribulations of a young American woman in search of adventure in Senegal...

Name:
Location: Senegal

Sunday, April 01, 2007

"Schools"

It seems that everyone is always on strike in Tamba. Teachers, students, cab drivers, the list could go on forever. The Tamba volunteer before me said that this is a problem and at least once a year during her service the teachers or students held a strike that turned violent. Well, I’ve had and heard some experiences about the strikes, and they aren’t even remotely as disturbing as the state of schools in this region.

After returning from Thies, I began visiting the schools with some computer-related work ideas. I promised to help with some English classes/club activities and I wanted to get a feel for the teachers and students. First and foremost, there are only two high schools in the whole town of 70,000 people. None of the schools have electricity, let alone computers, and the high schools which do have electricity only have it in the staff rooms.

The newest middle school in my area consists of two tin roofed cement structures and a make-shift straw building; each containing two classrooms and seating 60-90 students (of varying grade levels). I don’t know how anyone can be learning or teaching anything with only six classrooms and 500 teenage kids; especially when there are no bathrooms, no running water, and no electricity (which means no fans in the sweltering heat that is Tamba). I can understand why students might have complaints about the conditions in their schools and I sympathize with the difficulties teachers must face in trying to control such large classes in these conditions. A friend of mine has been interested in helping me but didn’t know where the school is located. The other day we were biking through some villages and rode passed it on the way to her house. She was passing the school three or four times a week and didn’t even realize it was a school (I’ll need to take some pictures and post them).

Needless to say, my first visit to the school made me want to cry. This past week the teachers were on strike and now with the holidays the kids will be out of school for two weeks. I’m wondering if they’ll have to make these days up or if they’ll just be tested and subsequently penalized for the government’s inability to provide suitable schools and learning/working environments for the children and teachers. My guess is the latter.



IN OTHER NEWS:

Recent books I’ve read:
The Secret Life of Bees- I loved it!
The Paris Years of Rosie Kanin- Eh..
The God of Small Things- Hard to get into but definitely a good read.
Their Eyes Were Watching God- Good book.
War and Peace- LOVED IT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home