delicious ambiguity...

Trials and tribulations of a young American woman in search of adventure in Senegal...

Name:
Location: Senegal

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Random Notes

I am currently reading War and Peace and admit I have been slacking on my blog entry responsibilities; so, forgive me and I will have a better entry next time I get to the cyber café! In the meantime, I thought I’d share some of my recent experiences.

- I saw my first lunar eclipse and thought it was pretty neat. I know nothing about that sort of thing but it was entertaining.
- On my way home to Tamba from training in Thies a ton of monkeys ran across the road in front of our car! It was my first time seeing cool (read- not farm variety) animals which was kind of exciting.
- My one year old brother Papa is in his hitting stage and has made a habit of hitting the sheep in our compound. The other day he made the mistake of hitting one of the rams and I watched him get head butted in the chest. Naturally, he was crying and I freaked out while my family cracked up laughing at how concerned I was. Apparently, it wasn’t a big deal for them.
- A couple of days ago, I saw my two year old sister playing with a razor blade. Again, I freaked out and was met with laughter. Apparently, I’m just an over-reactor (according to them).
- I’ve seen my one and two year old siblings sucking on batteries. They suck on shoes and everything else, which always grosses me out; but a battery is crossing the line. I’m the only one around here that thinks that’s a bad idea though. If they really want to suck on all kinds of nasty and sometimes toxic things, they can do as they wish; but not in front of me!
- Yesterday, I visited a nearby village and got to sit in on the bargaining of the bride price for an upcoming marriage. It was pretty cool watching the village chief and elders count and recount the kola nuts the guy was giving as payment for his new (and second) wife.

Again, I’m sorry that this wasn’t very interesting but I’ll be sure to have something good on Saturday! Hopefully, I will have finished War and Peace by then (which I love!!).

Thank you to Aunt Celeste and Aunt Joanie for being so thoughtful!! I loved the package and the card!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought this entry was interesting!!

i fly out the 22! wow!

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home