What in the world would possess me to move to Africa for two years?!
Whether or not you've asked me this I'm sure many of you have wondered so I thought I'd just clear up any assumptions or misconceptions about my motivation for embarking on such an adventure....
I consider myself a lucky woman. I have a great family and wonderfully supportive friends that have always believed in me and given me the strength to accomplish all I've set my mind to. I've always known what I want in life and have been fortunate to live a comfortable life that has afforded me many opportunities to achieve my goals. Realizing this, I can say whole-heartedly that I feel it is my obligation to give back. There is all the time in the world for working and making money, but I will only be young, healthy, and single once.. and I'd be a fool to not jump at an opportunity such as the Peace Corps. This will be an opportunity to dedicate my time to those less fortunate and hopefully show other people the love and support I've been lucky enough to have. I just want to be the best person I can be and looking at the lives of former Peace Corps. volunteers I know (all of whom were very influential in my decision to join!) has shown me that this experience will teach me more than I could ever hope to learn! If I'm half the person they are when I return I'll consider this journey a great success.
So, that sounds pretty corny but I don't care because I am so excited about the future and I can't wait to see where this adventure is going to take me! Thank you to all my family and friends for being the best a girl could ask for! You know I will miss you all terribly... but in the meantime stay posted for what are sure to be some crazy/stupid but hopefully entertaining stories and pictures!
I consider myself a lucky woman. I have a great family and wonderfully supportive friends that have always believed in me and given me the strength to accomplish all I've set my mind to. I've always known what I want in life and have been fortunate to live a comfortable life that has afforded me many opportunities to achieve my goals. Realizing this, I can say whole-heartedly that I feel it is my obligation to give back. There is all the time in the world for working and making money, but I will only be young, healthy, and single once.. and I'd be a fool to not jump at an opportunity such as the Peace Corps. This will be an opportunity to dedicate my time to those less fortunate and hopefully show other people the love and support I've been lucky enough to have. I just want to be the best person I can be and looking at the lives of former Peace Corps. volunteers I know (all of whom were very influential in my decision to join!) has shown me that this experience will teach me more than I could ever hope to learn! If I'm half the person they are when I return I'll consider this journey a great success.
So, that sounds pretty corny but I don't care because I am so excited about the future and I can't wait to see where this adventure is going to take me! Thank you to all my family and friends for being the best a girl could ask for! You know I will miss you all terribly... but in the meantime stay posted for what are sure to be some crazy/stupid but hopefully entertaining stories and pictures!
2 Comments:
Ashleigh,
How nice to hear that you are going to Africa. I think you made a great choice. Good luck on you journey and if you need help let me know.
Thanks,
Aziz
Hey Ashleigh,,,,glad to hear you are having a "blast"!!! Here we are all worried about you and you're having fun - thank God. Keep up the drum lessons - when you get back you can teach me! All is well here with the Kevin Lovett clan,,,we will keep in touch. Let us know when and what we can send.
Loving you,
Aunt Joanie
xoxoxo
Post a Comment
<< Home